Exclusive Interview with M.I.K.E. Push
Mike Dierickx, commonly recognized under the aliases M.I.K.E., Push or Plastic Boy, recently released his new album ‘World Citizen‘. We had the chance to ask him a few question about this album, his aliases, personal life and more.
01. Hi Mike, How are you doing and where are you right now?
Hi thanks, I’m well, can’t complain. I’m on my way back from London and Manchester where I just played for The Gallery and re:Format. Big launch parties for my album.
02. Your 5th artist album “World Citizen” is out now. How would you describe this album?
It’s a story, a story of all the travelling I did around the world, meeting new cultures, people, music, continents I visited, and that makes me a World Citizen.
03. Can you explain us the meaning behind the album title “World Citizen”?
It a recollection of experiences I’ve had as a touring DJ throughout my life. It’s filled with passion, love, emotions, inspirations of all kinds and playing venues and festivals around the world.
04. What has been your biggest inspiration during the production of this album?
Making the whole album was my biggest inspiration. I do love producing. Working with collabs was also inspiring. Especially the Rank 1 collab. That was a lot of fun. But generally, the making of the whole album was a big inspiration for me.
05. How long did the production of this album take from start to finish?
It took one long year to finally finish. I had the album done 2 years ago actually, but decided to write half of the track over, and I m glad I did!
06. Which track on “World Citizen” is your personal favorite and why?
I love them all. Each one tells a story. If I didn’t feel them as favorites, it wouldn’t be on the album. Trying to select one or two? ‘Elements of Nature’, ‘Galatic Halo’, and I leave the rest for you to enjoy! J
07. What can we expect from you in the near future?
Always a lot going on around the M.I.K.E. headquarters. Some major collabs, another new album (won’t say what), new single releases, etc etc. And working on reviving Active Sight with my buddy Fred Baker is on the table! All in the name of trance!
09. What do you see as your biggest success so far?
Still being around since I started nearly 20 years ago, driven by passion. Trance is here to stay!
09. Who/what inspired you to become a DJ/Producer?
My passion for music of the 80’s synth pop era. Depeche Mode for me are my heroes. The rest is history.
10. During your career you used a lot of different aliases like M.I.K.E, The Blackmaster, Return Of The Native, Plastic Boy and Push. Can you explain us why?
All these alisases use a different kind of sound/style. When I go into my studio, I start off a track and then I can label exactly what alias that track will have. Or sometimes it can be a completely new alias all together! Each has its own feel, style and emotion. That’s the power of having many aliases!
11. What are your favorite records at the moment?
I dig the new A&B track Black Room Boy and everything Solarstone is doing right now called PURE. But there are many great talents out there.
12. With such a busy DJ and producing life, is there enough time left for you friends and family?
Sure. I always make time for the most important things in my life. My family and friends know what my life is all about. It’s all about scheduling everything and taking it all in stride.
13. Thanks a lot for your time Mike! Is there anything you would like to say to your fans and our readers?
I want to thank my fans, readers and more for the continued support in my music throughout the years. I will continue to share my passion for music with you! See you at a party near you soon! And most of all NEVER deny your roots!
You must log in to post a comment.