Paul van Dyk – (R)EVOLUTION (The Remixes)
Last year, through his sixth artist album, electronic music legend Paul van Dyk changed up perceptions of the PvD sound, wholesale. Over the course of 2012, ‘EVOLUTION’s multiverse tracklist spawned five single sales-chart smashes, an epic, globe‐circling 150+ date tour, sustained fan & press veneration and an ever‐widening stylistic scope of DJ support.
Now that ‘the originals’ have been established, the time has come to let the remixers speak as Paul’s evolution becomes an out‐and‐out revolution! Handpicked by the man himself ‐ from the ready‐to‐break to the firmly established ‐ the remix gathering has assembled. Let the reworks begin!
“Naturally, the original versions of EVOLUTION’s tracks were mine and and my co-producers visions. The singles to date have brought some wonderful, creative remixes with them. Ones that blew me away when I heard them and which I played in-club and on the radio throughout last year. They were the seed points for this album; now is the right time to push the boundaries of ‘EVOLUTION’ that bit further”
– Paul van Dyk, Berlin, January 2013
Comprising 17 fresh‐off‐the‐desk reworks from a full company of van Dyk’s fellow production studionauts, this is where evolution ends and full‐scale revolution breaks out. Sowing the uprising’s first seeds is the production brotherhood of Woody van Eyden and Alex M.O.R.P.H., who are respectively tasked with retakes of ‘Sun After Heartbreak’ and ‘Such A Feeling’ (aka ‘Verano’). Drawing on a wealth of nirvana harmonics, thermal synths and Sue McLaren’s and Elijah King’s vocal talents, they reposition PvD’s original versions in an entirely new light… and time of the night.
Opening the tempo & tone throttle that little bit wider, musical mutineers Kyau & Albert, Maarten De Jong and John O’Callaghan zoom‐in on additional peak‐time aspects. Their radical interpretations of ‘Open My Eyes’, ‘Symmetries’ and ‘I Don’t Deserve You’ levy drums, percussion and distortion that are altogether more flooratomic in nature.
The popularity and musical latitude of ‘I Don’t Deserve You’ emphasize this Plumb‐vocalled peach with two further reconfigurations. Having already been voted one of the 15 biggest trancers of the year on Armin van Buuren’s ASOT radio show, ‘Deserve’ gets some house flavour into her system. Dubbing up the vocal, Gabriel Ben lets the hats hiss, the percs ride and the rhythms flow on his mix. Meanwhile, another American producer WAWA rolls one big piano moment in after another, inciting ravenous uplift and fanning ‘(R)Evolution’s flames even further.
Taking things momentarily deeper and more‐subversively progressive, the Directors Cut mix seizes on ‘Love Ammunition’s lyrical metaphor. Michelle Leonard’s vocals scorch the room, underpinning a potent groove and sure‐shot drop. The album stays with her redolent tones as Giuseppe Ottaviani takes control of ‘Lost In Berlin’, building it up into a mainline titan.
With PvD’s full backing, other remix‐revolutionaries are given free reign to take the music where they see fit. Pedro del Mar & Double V rock up a storm on the Sue McLaren‐vocalled and Arty‐coproduced ‘The Sun After The Heartbreak’.
Elsewhere, youngblood Uzbek producer Exense masterminds the ‘Rock This’ rebuild. He tactically whips it into a powder‐keg progressive piece, holding back the pitch‐bending synths and rousing a titular shout to the break’s final precipice. Elsewhere, audio guerrillas like Niels von Ahorn, Robert Mint, Nick Callaghan & Will Atkinson and others perform coup after coup with eclectic, thrilling reworks that build into the consummate ‘EVOLUTION’ revision.
The ‘(R)evolution’ commences Feb 22nd 2013.
01. Paul van Dyk – Sun After Heartbreak (Woody van Eyden Full Vocal Version)
02. Paul van Dyk – Such A Feeling ft. Austin Leeds and Elijah King (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)
03. Paul van Dyk – I Don’t Deserve You ft. Plumb (John O’Callaghan Remix)
04. Paul van Dyk – Symmetries ft. Austin Leeds (Maarten De Jong Remix)
05. Paul van Dyk – Lost In Berlin ft. Michelle Leonard (Giuseppe Ottaviani Remix)
06. Paul van Dyk – The Sun After Heartbreak feat. Sue McLaren & Arty (Pedro Del Mar & Double V Remix)
07. Paul van Dyk – All The Way feat. Tyler Michaud & Fisher (Steve Wish Remix)
08. Paul van Dyk – If You Want My Love ft. Caligola (Niels von Ahorn Remix)
09. Paul van Dyk – Wonderful Day ft. Giuseppe Ottaviani (Robert Mint Remix)
10. Paul van Dyk – We Come Together feat. Sue McLaren (Chriss Ortega Remix)
11. Paul van Dyk – I Don’t Deserve You ft. Plumb (Gabriel Ben Remix)
12. Paul van Dyk – Love Ammunition ft. Michelle Leonard (Directors Cut Mix)
13. Paul van Dyk – Rock This (Exense Remix)
14. Paul van Dyk – Open My Eyes ft. Kyau & Albert (Kyau & Albert Remix)
15. Paul van Dyk – The Sun After Heartbreak feat. Sue McLaren & Arty (Nick Callaghan & Will Atkinson)
16. Paul van Dyk – I Don’t Deserve You ft. Plumb (WAWA Remix)
17. Paul van Dyk – Such A Feeling ft. Austin Leeds and Elijah King (Radio Edit)
You must log in to post a comment.